1 recipe for 9 inch double crust pie (or 1 box Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 T all purpuse flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water
6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Peel, core, and slice the apples very thin. Place sliced apples in a large bowl of water as you complete them to prevent browning. When all the apples are sliced, drain the water. Add 1 tsp cinnamon over apples and stir to coat them all.
2. Place the bottom crust in a 9 inch pie pan. Fill with the cinnamon apples, and mound slightly.
3. Roll out top crust slightly so it is thinner. Use a pastry cutter or sharp knife to cut into 1/2 inch strips. Cover the apples with the lattice strips. Roll the overlapping lattice strips under the bottom pie crust. Use your fingers to crimp the edges. Here are some helpful instructions for the lattice top: Lattice Pie Crust Instructions and Lattice Pie Crust Instructional Video
4. Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add white sugar, brown sugar, and water. Bring to a boil, reduced temperature to low, and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Slowly pour the caramel mixture over the crust, being careful so that it does not run off.
6. Wrap the thick pie crust edges with foil so they do not burn. You will remove this later in the cooking process so it will brown.
7. Place apple pie on foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 25 minutes. Remove the foil from the edges of the crust and bake another 10 minutes.
Let the pie cool for an hour or so so it can set up. Now serve yourself up a big piece with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Enjoy!